Mr. Alain Brenas (Director)
Mr Ghassan Koteit (Director of cinema department)
Dr. Danielle Davie
Mr. Ghassan Salhab
The mission of the master’s degree in audio-visual production is to train the next generation of producers. They will have the necessary economic and artistic competences and will be able to initiate and accompany the creation of audio-visual works for all screens and media in Lebanon and the Arab world.
With excellence as a target, our objective is to encourage creativity, resourcefulness, leadership and research.
Teachers and professionals, Lebanese as well as foreigners, use educational methods that integrate the technical, economic, and artistic innovations
The major part of the training is given through intensive projects or seminars. This method allows students focus on a definite problem or theme and thus have in-depth exchanges with the contributors.
We are always on the lookout for all new economic, technical or artistic innovations in the world to reassess our programs and integrate the changes into our practices. To do so, we have partnerships with institutions abroad where foreign contributors lead seminars and workshops and we participate in transnational projects in festivals and colloquiums.
- Our objective is to strive for excellence and to prepare our students for a professional life
- Develop students’ critical thinking, and a constant questioning attitude towards the world around them through research and analysis.
- Have a creative mind, full of curiosity and determination; be a team player, with a sense of leadership.
- Develop the students’ ability to initiate and accompany the creation of audio-visual works for the cinema (fiction and documentaries), for TV (flow and stock) and for the web (web documentaries, web series, online games) through a series of individual projects throughout the curriculum
- Understand all technical aspects relevant to an audio-visual production and be able to use them to express an idea.
- Students should be able to organize and manage teamwork, communicate with all partners, and manage a shooting. They should know how to defend and support original and innovative ideas.
Upon graduating, the student will:
- Be able to analyse the production aspects of audio-visual projects: works of fiction (projects and scenarios), documentary concepts and flow and format concepts.
- Be able to conduct an analysis of the main current trends, formats and approaches in the production of works of fiction, documentaries, TV works, animations and ads.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of the modes of international financing and commercial exploitation of audio-visual programs. Understand the characteristics of the main audiovisual markets in the world.
- Be able to design the business plan of a project, seeking possible investors according to the project characteristics.
- Be able to organize all resources necessary to carry out an audio-visual project: creative, human, financial and technical.
- Know how to plan and implement the schedule of works for an audio-visual project.
- Acquire management skills and be able to direct teams and handle sensitive situations
- Be able to defend a production project through a well-argued presentation
- Have an extensive knowledge of the history and sociology of the cinema and TV production in Lebanon and the Middle East
- Know the macroeconomics factors of the media sector, its strategic and financial aspects and the transformations brought about by digitization
- Have acquired the basics of transmedia production and edition, know the different steps from the design of a project to its broadcasting on different media platforms
- Be familiar with the production of other types of artistic works such as: theater, performing arts and live performances, audio and video editing
- Be able to carry out a specific research on a subject and offer his/her conclusions
Conditions for obtaining the Master:
To obtain the Master's degree in Audiovisual Production, students must:
- Complete an internship in a company for a total duration of 3 months.
- Present and support a professional dissertation.
- Students must complete one or two internships for a total duration of 2 months during the period from July to September.
- The internship (s) must take place within a company in the audiovisual field, in Lebanon or abroad.
- An internship agreement will be signed for this purpose between Alba, the company concerned and the student.
- Students can combine two internships in two different companies, the minimum duration required for one internship is one month and two months for the second.
- The students must give Alba an internship report for each one of them.
- The presentation and defense of the thesis will be presented before a jury composed of professionals and teachers, chaired by the delegate of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education.
- A minimum mark of 12/20 is required for the success of the thesis.