Given the success of the Master’s degree in environmental planning, and the prospects on the Lebanese market, the IUA has launched a bachelor degree program in landscape architecture
The program spreads over a 4-year full time period.
Mr. Ziad Akl (Directeur)
Dr. Hassãn Bitar
Mrs Alicia Denris
Mrs Paula Samaha
The overall mission of the landscape architecture program is to entail our graduates to commit to the protection of the environment and to the designing of landscapes that are socially sensitive and sustainable, as well as being aesthetic. Being in the midst of a Beaux-Arts academy, students of the Institute learn the theory and practice of landscape architecture through creative work and research.
1. Allow students to develop their creativity and competencies and to acquire the necessary theoretical and professional knowledge, and thus understand the link between landscape architecture and people, places and the underlying systems.
2. Introduce them to the different techniques in communication, design, site planning and construction as well as information technologies and professional practice. Armed with these skills, the students will successfully start their professional life in landscape architecture or related professions.
3. Promote landscape architecture through seminars, conferences, study trips and awareness-raising activities.
1. Be knowledgeable in both theoretical and practical aspects of design and the planning and management procedures of green spaces, whether these spaces are in rural or urban areas, public or private, at a regional or a national level.
2. Acquire applied skills and be able to solve complex environmental problems through critical thinking and innovative and sustainable ideas.
3. Have advanced written and oral communication skills. Students will master landscape visualization techniques as well as diagnostic techniques for challenging situations. They will be able to design preservation or development plans, intertwining philosophies and conceptions into their designs
4. Master new and innovative research methods with the adequate modeling techniques to represent the interaction between environment and populations, and implement concepts leading to the preservation of the environmental qualities of built and natural surroundings.
5. Consider design as a tool for change. They will favor and support an in-depth knowledge of the constantly evolving natural and cultural systems.
6. Have a wise and objective attitude in decision-making mechanisms. students will thus have leadership positions in multidisciplinary teams.
7. Become the green ambassadors of the IUA and contribute to the development of landscape architecture in Lebanon and abroad.
General structure of the program
The curriculum is divided into 8 semesters, based on a full time.
The student obtains his diploma when he has validated 240 credits, the evaluation of credits will be done at the end of each semester.
Special conditions of passage and validation of credits
NB: See also the "Academic Rules" of Alba.
Terms of the final project of the License in Landscape Architecture
- Choice of the subject: The student must submit a proposal of the subject that he thinks will work for his final project in writing to the educational committee of the IUA, to have his agreement.
- Pre-project: The final project is scheduled for 2 semesters, a pre-project session is scheduled at the end of each semester.
- Final rendering: The project must be submitted to the administration 2 weeks before the final jury date.
- Evaluation and Jury: The jury consists of teachers and professionals and is chaired by a representative of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education.